Published : 29 September 2016 Author : Liz Rivers
Women finalists often ask me “What do I need to know before going to an awards night?”
With the first state Telstra Business Women's Award dinner kicking off tonight in South Australia, here's my five top tips to make your night enjoyable and successful.
1. Embrace the fashionable soft-flowing pantsuits sported by celebrities at big shin-digs like the Emmys and the Oscars. Not only do they look fabulous, but they are highly practical at an awards function too – there’s nothing worse than watching women struggling with their dresses as they climb up and down the stairs to the stage.
2. And while we’re talking about how you look on stage, remember that short skirts and dresses can reveal more than you intend when you walk up the stage steps. You don’t want those front VIP tables getting an eye full. Choose an outfit that will look flattering from behind.
3. Colour matters. For instance, red looks lovely and makes a statement that you’re a strong woman, but be aware that cameras, especially TV cameras, do not capture red well. Stage lights will wash out whites, making people with paler skin look especially anaemic. I always recommend wearing a cool fabric (so you don't perspire) in a rich, vibrant, darker colour.
4. Make a show of winning. When you have that trophy in your hands, raise it high (making sure not to cover your face) and smile while looking towards the audience. Stay in that position for a few seconds so the cameras get a chance to take the best shot.
5. There are lights shining onto the stage in order to make it bright enough for everyone to see how gorgeous you look! These lights also shine in your eyes and temporarily blind you. This both makes it hard for you to see the audience and, importantly, hard to see the steps clearly as you leave the stage. A good trick is to walk to the top of the stairs, pause, blink your eyes quickly three times and then descend the stairs.
Congratulations to all the state finalists in the Telstra Business Women’s Awards. Good luck to everyone and enjoy the celebrations.
My name is Liz Rivers, and I started undertaking unique research more than 20 years ago on what makes awards successful and what judges are looking for when they assess your entry... read more
PO Box 838, Coolum, Queensland 4573
Tel : 1300 88 22 59
International : +61 7 5446 4299
Mail : email@example.com